Country expert for Belgium
Legal Committee of the Belgian Federation of Franchising; Belgian Society for Competition Law (AEDC); CEPANI (Belgian Centre for Arbitration and Mediation) (Member of the Scientific Committee); International Chamber of Commerce (ICC); London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA); FEDUCI’s Working Group on International Contracts; Member of the Editorial Board of the quarterly law review Dispute Resolution International; International Bar Association (International Franchising Committee, Arbitration Committee).
Year of birth
1985-1986 Master of Laws (LL.M.) University of Pennsylvania Law School Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (U.S.A.) 1981-1984 ‘Licence en droit’ (magna cum laude) Université Libre de Bruxelles 1979-1981 ‘Candidature en droit’ (cum laude) Université Libre de Bruxelles
Current professional position
2001 – to date: Founding Partner, HANOTIAU & VAN DEN BERG (Brussels).
1999 – 2001 - CMS DERKS STAR BUSMANN HANOTIAU (Brussels) - Partner 1989-1999 - DE BACKER & ASSOCIES (Brussels) - Partner from 1993 1987-1989 - DE BANDT VAN HECKE & LAGAE (Brussels) - Associate 1984-1987 - JANSON BAUGNIET & ASSOCIES (Brussels) - Associate May - August 1986 - WHITMAN & RANSOM (New York) - Associate
Counsel to companies engaged in franchising and distribution. Acted as arbitrator in several proceedings about international distribution and/or franchising.
French, English, Dutch.
English, French, Dutch
Law degree, admitted to bar.
Experience in the field of distribution
Commercial agency, Intermediaries, Distributorship, Sales networks, Selective Distribution, Franchising, Distribution Antitrust, Trademark Issues.
Litigation before national courts as a counsel.
International Arbitration as arbitrator and as a counsel.
- Sole arbitrator in WIPO proceedings between a Dutch licensing company and its former worldwide Swiss licensee/distributor (2009) under Dutch law.
- Sole arbitrator in ICC proceedings in a dispute between a French franchisor and its former UAE master franchisee (2010) under French law.
- Chairman of an ICC tribunal in a dispute between a German manufacturer and its former Malaysian exclusive distributor (2012) under Swiss law.
- Chairman of an ICC tribunal in a dispute between a French franchisor and its former master franchisee in Turkey (2014) under Swiss law.
- Chairman of an ad hoc tribunal in UNCITRAL proceedings between a Chinese manufacturer and its former Brazilian distributor (2015) under Brazilian law.
- Co-arbitrator in ICC proceedings between a French manufacturer and its former exclusive distributor in Jordan (2016) under French law.