IDI country expert for FINLAND
Drafting groups of: ADP 91 (Chair) and ADP 94 (agreed documents on ICT contracts); Arbitration Rules of the Finnish Central Chamber of Commerce 1993; ICC Model International Sale Contract 1997; ICC Model International Technology Transfer Agreement 2009; Incoterms ® 2010; ICC Model Anti-Corruption Clause 2012; NSAB 2015 (Standard Conditions of Nordic Freight Forwarders, under preparation). Member of ICC Commission on Commercial Law and Practice; Chair of ICC Task Force on Public Procurement 2005-2007, Co-Chair 2007-2015; Member of Incoterms ® 2010 Panel of Experts; Chair of the civil liability and insurance committee of the Finnish Bar Association 2010-; Expert Member of FINSIPRO (Finnish Trade Facilitation Reference Group) 2005-; Member of UN/CEFACT Legal Group 2007-, Chair of sub-group for legal aspects of Single Window Interoperability 2014-; Secretary of the Council of the European Union Working Party on Company Law 2000-2001, Competition 1999-2001, Public Procurement 2000-2002 and Insurance 1999-2002. Ministry of Trade and Industry of Finland Committee on Intellectual and Industrial Property 1990-93; Secretary of the Finnish Association of Industrial Property 1990-92.
Year of birth
LL.M. 1984 Helsinki, Special Subject Exam in Maritime Law, Oslo 1985 LL.M. (International Business Law), London 1987 Professional Insurance Exam, Finnish Underwriters 1997 LL.D. 2004 Helsinki
Trained at the Bench 1986, Attorney admitted to the Finnish Bar 2005
Current professional position
Attorney at Railas Attorneys Ltd., Helsinki, since 2014. Average Adjuster in Finland since 2015.
Docent in Civil Law, University of Helsinki 2014
Attorney at Krogerus Attorneys Ltd. 2003-2014 University of Helsinki, administrative and research positions 1984-85 and 2003, Docent as from 2014 Council of the European Union, Principal Administrator, 1996-2002 ICC Finland, Secretary General 1991-96 Central Chamber of Commerce of Finland 1990-91 (Secretary of Board of Arbitration 1990-96) Sampo Insurance Company Limited, lawyer, 1987-1990
Experience of distribution cases as an attorney and as the secretary of the Board of Arbitration of the Central Chamber of Commerce of Finland, legislative experience regarding competition law in the Council of the EU. Experience in organising seminars on the topic.
Finnish (native), English, Swedish, German, French, Spanish (fair), some Russian
English, Finnish, Swedish, German, French, Spanish
Law degree, admitted to bar
Experience in the field of distribution
Commercial agency, distributorship, distribution antitrust, distribution joint ventures, intermediaries, franchising, trade mark issues, internet sales
Litigation before national courts as counsel.
International Arbitration as arbitrator and as counsel.
- A Finnish company producing machinery for the maintenance and making use of cattle has had a distributor in Norway for some two decades.
- A Finnish company imported construction tools from South Korea and concluded a distributorship agreement with another Finnish company being a wholesaler of tools on the basis of exclusivity of purchases from the importer as there was a non-compete clause in the agreement.
- A Swiss food producer wanted to terminate an agency agreement with company A as well as a distributorship agreement with company B, both in Finland.
- A Finnish company active in the field of health care products wanted to terminate its contract with an Italian distributor.
- A Finnish importing company for food products wanted to reinforce its long-standing relations with a well-known international food company.
- A Finnish company producing spice mixtures for the local food industry had ordered soya from Israel which had a Danish company as its distributor.
- A Chilean shipowner wanted to terminate an agency agreement with a Scandinavian shipping agency after some disappointing experiences.