Country expert for TURKEY
Chair of the ICC Commercial Law and Practice Commission, Member of International Bar Association, Istanbul Bar Association, Association Henri Capitant des Amis de la Culture Juridique Française, ICC Institute Council, ICC Incoterms Experts Group, ICC International Court of Arbitration, ICC Arbitration Commission, ICC Turkish National Committee Arbitration Council, Advisory Council of Banking and Commercial Law Research Institute, Advisory Board Member of Istanbul Arbitration Centre (ISTAC), and member of Association Suisse de l’Arbitrage (ASA).
Year of birth
Dokuz Eylül University (LL.B., 1984 with honors); Ankara University (LL.M., 1986 with honors); University of Fribourg (Ph.D., magna cum laude 1990).
Current professional position
Founder and Senior Partner of Erdem & Erdem Law Office. An emeritus commercial law professor still lecturing in Galatasaray University in Turkey and Fribourg University in Switzerland.
Commercial Law Professor, Galatasaray University Faculty of Law (2003-2011) Commercial Law Associate Professor, Galatasaray University Faculty of Law (1997 – 2003) Assistant and Associate Professor, Dokuz Eylül University, Faculty of Law (1984-1997)
Ercument Erdem has more than 35 years of experience in international commercial law, mergers and acquisitions, capital markets, privatizations, corporate finance and arbitration. He serves international and national clients in a variety of industries including energy, construction, finance, retail, real estate, aerospace, healthcare and insurance. He has extensive experience in international commercial contracts and cross-border projects concerning project finance, privatization, mergers and acquisitions and private equity transactions in wide geography including Europe, Asia and CIS countries.
Turkish, French, English and German.
He has written several books and articles
English, French, Turkish
Law degree, admitted to bar.
Experience in the field of distribution
Commercial agency, distributorship, franchising, intermediaries, sales network, selective distribution, distribution antitrust, shopping malls.
Litigation experience before National Courts as counsel.
International Arbitration experience as arbitrator and as a counsel.
- A German distributor has acted as the sole distributor of a Turkish producer of fiberglass.
- A Turkish company acted as the sole distributor of an Italian manufacturer of tractors.
- A Turkish company and an Italian agent signed an agency contract on 2009; and according to this contract, the agent will represent and sell products of the supplier in many countries exclusively and get a commission from each sale.
- A Turkish company was the exclusive distributor of a German company, which is one of the biggest companies in small home appliances sector, in Turkey since 1984.
- A German company signed an agreement appointing a Turkish company as its exclusive agent for its copper pipe and copper alloy products in Turkey.
- A Lebanese company and two Turkish companies have entered into an agreement where the Lebanese company undertook to promote the entry of the Turkish companies into the market and to be awarded for new transmission lines and distribution networks for electrical power.
- A Swiss company acting as the agent of a major Turkish cement manufacturer claimed its unpaid commissions.